Sunday, February 9, 2014

Big Girls & Good Bras

One question i'm asked consistently is: where do I get my bras? I get them mostly from Dillard's, but, there comes a time where you must replace your oldies. My straps are wore out and won't stay adjusted, and there is no longer any support. So, not that I was extra excited to spend the extra money, but I just recently purchased 6 new bras. Based on reviews, top-heavy/ plus-sized women are recommending Lane Bryant's "Cacique" bras and Ashley Stewart's "Butterfly" bra. I'll be reviewing them once they arrive. 

Busty ladies, we must keep in mind that being, uh, "blessed" up there,  we can't just pick up bras from anywhere like ladies with smaller breasts can. When I used to purchase bras from Wal-Mart/ Target (or anywhere else I can pick up toiletries and grocery at the same time), i'd often have to double up (wear two bras simultaneously) just for comparable support of a good bra. There are certain features that are not only preferred, but necessary: 


A) Heavyduty (padded) adjustable straps



Having supportive straps resting on your shoulders is a very significant feature of a good bra for the voluptuous woman. I have permanent indents in my shoulders left from previous bras digging in my shoulders. The excessive weight of my breasts just tugging on those flimsy straps were not at all sufficient. For me, good straps are thick in material with adequate width. The bra adjusters should also be bigger than average so that your adjustments will stay put. Having some padding in the strap is additionally beneficial. 



B) Unpadded cups


The last thing a girl needing a "G" cup needs is padded cups. It's the worst. It sometimes makes the bra not fit correctly and maximizes the size of the breasts. The only benefit a busty girl gets from padding is concealing erect nipples. We can and should do without it, it's only in the way. 



C) Durable back strap 


 

A durable back strap is ESSENTIAL. Again, a regular bra has a very delicate/ insubstantial back strap that's just not made for us. The average "big girl" has a stubborn back roll that'll eat up a 1/2 inch back strap. A good back strap is about 2-4 inches in width. It will flatten and lay right on top of a minimal roll and provide a smoother look underneath your clothing, as opposed to highlighting this problem area. 



D) 3-5 Hooks



The final, most significant feature is the # of hooks it has on the back strap mentioned above. One or two hooks are features of a regular bra and is not sufficient if you wear an extended size. A good bra has has about 4 hooks at the back. Imagine a corset with only 6 hooks going all the way down as opposed to the usual 20+. It's not supporting a thing and would be worn without reason. Same applies here. This feature is vital to the lifting of your breasts. Make sure you have an adequate amount of hooks and that they're all fastened securely. 



**KNOW YOUR SIZE! It's a common misconception that the bigger the number, the larger the breasts. False. The number in your bra size is actually the waistline measurement. the letter is your cup size (and what elevates as your breasts grow). The number will generally be the same unless your gain/ lose weight** 



Stay tuned for my review later this week! 


2 comments:

  1. You will love Lane Bryant! Those are the only bras I've even considered buying for the last 5 years atleast. I actually get compliments all the time on my bras and women ask me where i purchase them! Unless Ashley Stewart had drastically changed the butterfly bra I'd pass. They are very bulky and make you look much bigger than necessary. I look forward to your review. Any suggestions on a good
    sports bra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd already purchased the Ashley Stewart one and it is indeed bulky and uncomfortable. I'm gonna review it over the weekend. As for sports bras, Lane Bryant had a few. I picked up one. Will review that one too.

      Delete