Saturday, February 22, 2014

Staple Piece, Schmaple Piece ...

The mass of the plus-size bloggers will encourage you to specifically buy wardrobe staples ... that bores the vivid life right out of me. Now, don't get me wrong. We all need several pairs/ fits of black pants and skirts. We need neutral colored pieces that are always available to easily complete an outfit. We need a black shoe, a nude shoe, a red shoe. Of course.

To stick to solely purchasing fashion basics, to me, is not interesting. I feel like leopard and stripes are both neutrals that can be paired with just about anything. My most beloved wardrobe staple are harem pants as opposed to a standard chino. Not everyone is a "classic" dresser, and there is nothing at all wrong with dipping in trending fashion and dabbing in vintage fashion. It's said that such pieces aren't timeless and will be outdated by next season. Outdated says who, though? You must make your own rules.

Skinny jeans and peplum were supposed to only be a fad, but they're still going strong. As well, both trends weren't JUST created a few years ago, fashion only repeats itself every few years/ decades. I can't count how many times i've gotten rid of items that were so-called not in style anymore, Rihanna decides to wear 'em, and then they're all the rave again. These "new" transparent pumps, and the low pumps with the strap across the toes and around the ankle ... had them in every color in high school.

I like to have a variety of fun clothing in my closet. I go in the store, and i'm instantly attracted to stripes, floral print, black & white, tribal print, and animal print EVERY time. A lot of my "staples" have those features. A staple piece, to me, is about versatility. It's about being able to make it casual or dress it up. Of course you can't be seen wearing a floral peplum top weekly, as you would be able to do a pair of gray pants ... but it's easy to change up the look and wear it often enough.

Below is a DIY project of mine I featured in May 2013. I took a $1.50 over-the-top, ankle-length, puff-sleeved, pleated, satin, peasant dress (YIKES!) and revamped it into something cute! It's not a standard wardrobe staple, but, it is versatile and can be worn several different ways. While it's not classic, and actually not trendy either, it's my style. And one of my fave pieces.

Today
Casual


May 2013
http://charismamonroe.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-transformation-project-from-yikes.html
Dressed Up


No comments:

Post a Comment