Sunday, September 8, 2013

(Not So) Small Talk: Now is the Time to Love the Hell Out of Yourself


As content as I seem about my body, even a supermodel has something(s) she'd change instantly if given the opportunity. For me, the body part I always tried to hide growing up/ into myself/ even recently was my thunder thighs/. Prior to last year, I hadn't worn shorts since I was 11 years old. Last year, I wore them with opaque tights ... still so modest, lol. I reside in Florida and it's continuously too hot for such behavior. But, my mom always had to buy me clothes that hit at/ beneath my big knees or else I wouldn't touch them. My preferred outfit was some flare jeans and a Buccaneers t-shirt, hid every lump/ bump/ crease perfectly. There was no way I would be caught showing this fold of fat at my armpit; there was no way in hell I was putting these chaffing thighs on display.

There comes a time when you just ... get over it all. There comes a time when you just stop trying to satisfy everyone else, the task itself is never ending, exhausting, and irrelevant. There comes a time where you just don't care if being precisely who you are offends the next person or not. There comes a time where you don't let your so-called flaws restrict you from being comfortable in your own skin and being great with your wardrobe. There comes a time where your stomach not looking flat enough in a dress only wishes it could stop you from rocking it. There comes a time when how others feel about you will naturally feel like none of your significant business. There comes a time where you need to just cut the ifs, ands, buts, and love the hell out of you. That time was yesterday, but go ahead and start today :)

Currently, i'm at a point where I am working to deliver an even better version of myself, but even still I accept and flaunt everything about me. I just don't see how hating the present version of yourself is going to be beneficial towards creating a greater you. It's not healthy. I am trying to lose a few pounds of course, (for the sake of not creeping towards 300 pounds like before), but I do not consider this present version of myself as a "before". Those then/ now shots always display such an embarrassing, shameful before depiction;  like those size 12 jeans, it just doesn't fit me.


Outfit Details:
Yellow Peephole Peplum Blouse - JcPenny's, $10 
Coral/ White Striped Shorts - Rainbow Stores, Season Change Clearance, $5 
Pearl/ Coral/ Chain Necklace - Forever 21, $8 
Colorblock Platform Pumps - Birthday Gift! Local Shoe Store 





7 comments:

  1. I have so much respect for a woman who is unapologetic about who she is. There are so many women out there killing themselves (and sadly, I mean this both literally and figuratively) to conform to society's idea of beauty. I admire that even though there are things that you want to change about yourself, you are loving yourself in the process of making those changes. As a woman on a similar journey, I felt it was important to give "props" where props are due. Kudos to you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post an I love your outfit pretty bright colors an you look amazing in the shorts........ I must say you are not alone I also stay in florida(miami) an I have put a no shorts rule on myself I would wear jeans to the beach....lol.....(Ridiculous) hott as it is but I plan on changing that next summer it will be all shorts an crop tops no more restrictions thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that top in lavander, orange and black. I can't believe I missed the yellow one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can dig this one thousand. Being aware of self confidence combined with an eye for fashion is uber awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus size women that can dress will always be the best...I'm a dude that can preach on that...BE AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl you said something then!! and I concur!! I also like to say the saying on color purple "This life be over soon"!! lol.. I'm living for me and I definitely cant worry about what others say! I know that I love the "HELL" outta me.. and others can like it love it or leave it.. I'M ME, and I wouldn't be anything less!! lol.. I don't have the problem.. they do... Love ur blogs!!

    ReplyDelete