Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Look, For Less




ASOS.com made the "Midi Dress In Pixulated Floral" (below) available in the Curve section of the site at the tip of Spring (now sold out); the material is 97% polyester, 2% elastane, and the runway presentation showed that it flowed effortlessly as you walked. Features that personally attracted me to the garment were:
  •  The long, straight sleeves would cover my big arms
  • The versatility (could be worn with open-toe sandals, pumps, pointed flats, etc.)
  • The timeless pleating detail at the waist
  •  The floral pattern was so vivid, yet soft, classic, and feminine.
  • It completely covers one's cleavage line (work/ church appropriate)
  • It hits right at the knee, perfect length



So with free shipping both ways and my 10% student discount, why didn't I grab the flawless beauty? Because the price tag read $59.40, and 10% off did not fully persuade me to spend $60 on a single item (even though I loved it). Primarily, I have about 7 other floral dresses in my closet, so it certainly wasn't a necessity, or even a staple. I only wear my printed items every now and then. As well, the average cost on my entire Forever 21 online shopping cart is $50, I just couldn't do it. 

Instead, I decided it was time for a "get the look for less" type of mission and headed to the thrift store. There was a plethora of hideous, "old lady" dresses available; I tried on a hand full before settling with just 2. This is the one I chose to make up for my ASOS
 loss. 







This dress was a measly $4.95 and shared the same features I loved about the ASOS dress. Since I could have purchased 12 dresses similar to this one, for the price of that 1 ASOS dress, I won't feel bad when I only wear this one once or twice annually. In fact, I got 2 dresses, a white blazer, 3 pairs of earrings, a navy blue straw clutch, 3 shirts, this, that, and the other ... for just $50. 


Outfit Details: 
(#FitsUnderFifty)

Dress, $4.95, Thrift Store
Skinny Floral Belt, $2.80, Forever 21
Rose Pink Patent Leather Peep Toe Wedges: $24.80, Forever 21
Oversized Post Earrings- Flea Market, $4

3 comments:

  1. Your thrift store treasure out shines the ASOS dress by light years. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete