Monday, August 2, 2010

Natural VS Superficial Beauty



By @Charisma_Monroe Blogger/ Editor-in- Chief


In 2004, Americans spent over $12.4 billion on cosmetics. This total is only 33 percent larger than the amount needed yearly to provide water and sanitation for all of the people in developing nations. The amount spent is barely larger than the amount needed each year to provide reproductive healthcare for all women in developing countries; ironically, cosmetics are often advertised as symbols of women's rights and independence. (Statistics from www.medscape.com).
Beauty in a superficial form has eclipsed any natural allure, chiefly because of what the media portrays as beautiful. One can only be “Beauty to the Fullest” with a face FULL of makeup, with lashes as FULL as a hair extension, with a head FULL of weave, hair follicles FULL of relaxers, a body not FULL of fat … says society.
Superficial enhancements are acceptable, to an extent. The butt injections are far beyond the extent. From my own personal experience and observation, I believe that they can easily become detrimental to women in our society. We go from using those hair extensions to boost the way our natural hair looks to needing those hair extensions (hiding our own hair). When we become unaware of what the enhancements really mean in our life, sometimes some of us become lost, and need them. That’s how I was with weaves and chemicals before I joined Team Natural 2 years ago. The transition felt fatal; fake, meaningless things had become that significant in my life. I dib and dab sometimes now, but, I’m fully aware that I’m wearing and controlling the item, not vice versa. It’s sickening how we become obsessed with these products, how we feel obligated to them. This is malevolent because when someone is obsessed, they’ll go beyond the limit to obtain. In the end, you’ll have boxes of weaves, cases of makeup, nail appointment after nail appointment, clothes bursting out of your drawers, shoes by the dozens… and a negative bank account/ bad credit to match.
Is it really that serious? NO. If you’re assured with your own God-given splendor, why buy the extra? I still have thousands of dollars in materialistic things from when I went through this cycle, but I’ve come to terms that I’m beautiful enough to not rely on my clothes (even though they’re very important to me still lol), my makeup, my weave, my nails, or anything else with a price tag. Now when someone likes my hair, I tell them how to achieve the look, not where to BUY the look. After utilizing surface products for so long, I didn’t even feel comfortable in my genuine skin, only if it was packed with Fashion Fair foundation. This is where a lot of adolescent girls stand currently, not valuing the “I just woke up and brushed my teeth” beauty, and it’s a disgrace.
If you don’t like the way you look without any beauty aid, you don’t like the way you look period, because after 5 hours of adding this and that, that’s not even you. Natural beauty is extraordinary; makeup guarantees flawlessness sure, but unaided beauty is what’s really unflawed. The doubts of “I wonder how she looks without the Indian Remy, without the 3-pound eyelashes, without the layers of powder?” won’t even exist, and the certainty of “Wow, she’s gorgeous all alone, no help necessary” will arise.
I’m elated that recently, more and more women are deciding to join Team Natural in some form. I’m seeing more afro puffs that were previously labeled “nappy”, I’m seeing more dreadlocks, less relaxers. It’s something like a movement. Some of the girls caught up in all the hype might have something insignificant to say about your discharge from fraudulence, and even some of the guys. (You know they say they want something real, then they go pick up the chick that needs her nails, as long and colorful as possible, done weekly. The chick who’s detachable hair touches her waist-line. The chick who has 7 Gucci bags but is avoiding Visa’s calls).
Do what is going to make you and keep you happy. Not shallow, but authentic happiness.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this blog post. This is a time where I truly wish you had tumblr so I could reblog it (you would get the credit without me having to go through all the foot work *sigh* yes I am lazy so now my blog will just not have this blog post unless i put a direct link *another huge sigh*) My aboslute favorite part of this was and I quote "(You know they say they want something real, then they go pick up the chick that needs her nails, as long and colorful as possible, done weekly. The chick who’s detachable hair touches her waist-line. The chick who has 7 Gucci bags but is avoiding Visa’s calls)." Hilarious! Anyways I love your blog post, they keep me laughing :) A true journalist in every sense of the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put queen! im diggin your truthful vibe. pull no punches,No sugar coating, Don't change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Are preaching to my choir. I've been saying this for years. I wrote a poem on it. Speak that truth.

    ReplyDelete