Tuesday, July 30, 2013

10 Things: Trends I Could Manage Without

1) Archless Platforms 
Actually, i'm not sure if I hate these, or kinda like these super vintage kicks. I could definitely get with the colorblock and printed ones. It's just something about these elevated flats ... 



2) Clear Bra Straps -_- We See You
The reason these uncomfortable things were invented was to conceal your undergarment's straps. Fail? I would think so. 



3) Mesh Inserts 
Currently, it's hard to go shopping for trendy pieces without chunks of the fabric being replaced by mesh, a transparent material. It seems like the inserts are placed in the most raunchiest and/ or inconvenient places, most of the time, right where your bra would be displayed. I don't know if these tops aren't meant for women like myself, but uh, I HAVE to wear a bra. I'll pass. 


4) Vibrantly Colored Lippies 
At places likes Ka'oir and MAC, you can find the most vivid of color options for your lips for about $20 per tube. It works for some people. Of course, I believe in wearing what makes you happy, but, Hulk green lipstick just doesn't work for everyone. I've seen my fair share of looks. I believe it looks best when the hair is big, and neat, the outfit is extraordinary, and with a full face of makeup. 




5) Open Thigh Suspender Leggings 
Ok. Are they shorts? Or pants? Where precisely are you going?! I have questions -_-



6) Skater Skirts
I actually like skater skirts, but my frame disables me from rocking them. It rises as I walk, it's short, it's short as hell in the back, my hips make it sit out more than it should ... i'm disappointed that it doesn't work for me. While they have knee-length versions, it sort of defeats the purpose of the trend (to show leg). 




7) Heel-Less Pumps
Lady Gaga introduced this horrendous trend via Alexander McQueen a few years back, and of course, along came the replicas. I hate these shoes. They remind me of something a divalicious Godzilla would wear.  I tried on a pair for the hell of it, and they were unsteady/ difficult to walk in. You have to take every step on your tip-toes and that puts a lot of weight/ stress on your toes. They just look so obnoxious to me. Hideous.



8) Lion Jewelry
Since Rihanna started wearing her gold lion jewelry, seemingly everyday (lol), EVERYONE just had to have them a piece. I purchased some studs and a ring, simply because it was black & gold, my favorite (jewelry) color combination. I mean, it's cute. It's just overdone. I feel like this jewelry is not to be worn with everything, and that it's more casual. 

9) The Fatkini
Did I miss the Big Girls United memo that said we must all wear high-waist bikini swimsuits this Summer?! Riddle me that! Some of these suits are made poorly and with cheap fabric and they just don't work if you do not have an hourglass physique. One-piece suits look more flattering on some of the more square shaped/ round big girls. If you carry your weight solely at your stomach, these suits tend to look ... well, like diapers. I always say "wear what you want, wear what makes you feel beautiful", so if you love this suit, wear the hell out of this suit. But, one-piece suits are classic and will forever be "in". Don't be afraid to wear one of those (instead). 


10) Ill-Fitting Daisy Dukes 
If your dark under-booty region is visible, the bottom of your cheeks are visible, or  you have a massive camel-toe (foot), you probably should have sized up. The shorter the shorts, the better is so junior high. Get your right size as an adult. It has become trendy for ladies to cut vintage jeans into shorts for a high-waist look. These type of shorts tend to make the baddest (nicest) body look odd, flattened, and packed into the shorts. There are so many other types of cute shorts we can rock for the summer time. Big girls, our shorts tend to look better past our juicy butt cheeks, trust. A pair sitting at the waist, just about mid-thigh, with a cuff ... much more flattering.

4 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who disliked colored lipsticks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like red/ orange/ plum/ coral/ etc. The yellow/ blue/ green ... not so much

      Delete
  2. Number nine YES GAWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!! Like literally EVERYONE is rocking them whether they look good in them or not smh........

    ReplyDelete