Saturday, July 20, 2013

It's Not Complicated. It's Easy.

Yesterday, while knocking out an extensive list of errands, a (young, FINE, chocolate lol) man approached me and said: 

"Hopefully I don't offend you, but I KNOW it has to be difficult being a big, beautiful, confident woman as you effortlessly are"

I smiled and replied : 

"Actually, knowing & showing precisely who I am makes it quite a simple lifestyle".

It would have been easy to become defensive, but why? He actually had a good point. People stare because my stomach is being showcased. They frown at the sight of my puffy hair. They think I jiggle too much, and should probably wear a girdle. They're angry because i'm comfortable and not tugging on my clothes all day.  They see flaws, I see character. I speak, they ignore me. Their spouse smiles, though *winks*. They're baffled at the sight of my glide in these 6-inch heels. I intentionally utilize "sex appeal" to my advantage, even with flats and no makeup on. I'm sexy. They say to their friend "she is too big for all that...", while simultaneously/ subconsciously wishing they had the confidence.  

 I have been heavier than average all of my life, it has not always been okay with me. I didn't have a magical moment where I suddenly believed that I was worthy or beautiful, but the assurance and acceptance progressed over time ... now i'm here. I went through darkness as a teen, including depression and eating disorders, and wished someone was there to lift me up and encourage me. Only God was there, and I overcame only by his grace. 

Now, as an (almost) 23-year-old, I make it my duty to be that friend and support system I was searching so desperately for. It elates me that I inspire so many different women from all walks of life, it is my mission. 

So the giggles, the side-eyes, the glaring ... it's all fine in 2013. At the end of the day I go to sleep with my personal mission/ vision on the brain, and with the same mind set to make myself even better. I sleep well, so proud of where I am now, compared to where I once was. 

Being curvy to me, personally, means being particularly beautiful, unique, controversial, strong, being an assured leader. It means being me, proudly. What's so hard about that? 


♥ Queen Charisma





Outfit Details: 

Earth-Toned Abstract Top - Thrifted, $4
Reversible Leather Gold Buckle Belt - JCP, Clearance, $10
Fringe Bag - Ross, $15.99
Acid Wash Printed Jeggings - LoveDrunkBoutique
Orange Cutout (Wood) Heel/ Wedges - ZooShoo, $22
Glasses - Vintage, Gifted
Wood Bangles - Flea Market, $2/ each

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you stopping by & for the support :)

      Delete
  2. I have to say I love your blog but I really love this post. A little over 2 years ago I had twins and shot up from a size 12 to a 16 and since then I've been uncomfortable with my body. I have always been bigger than the average girl but I just started getting a little more confidence from reading bloggers like you. Your story reminds of my "experience" I had this weekend when walking into a yogurt shop and some pin thin girls and their mom literally stopped their conversation mid sentence to look at the fat girl with the tank and maxi skirt. The whole time I was there they stared but I just looked them straight in the eye and smiled. I loved my outfit that day and looked pretty damn good. I felt great and happy that their stares didn't affect my confidence. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine, thanks for stopping by/ supporting & commenting! I was REALLY touched by your story and newfound confidence/ acceptance, so super proud of you love! Not sure if you'll get this mssg, but i'd love to keep in touch with you. Feel free to email me at contact.charisma@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I love, love, love your post. I've always admired your beauty inside and out. You are an amazing young woman and and I love your confidence and style. YOU GO, GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete