Thursday, July 24, 2014

12 Takes: Take 6: what Have You DIY'ed Lately?

12 Takes of Vintage/ DIY/ Deals/ Small Businesses
Take 6: What Have You DIY'ed Lately? (feat. Diva Xpress)


This #OOTD was inspired by the frugalista and the free spirit in me. I just (over) love a good DIY project. It allows you to  express yourself artistically using the inexpensive resources you have already AND guarantees that no one else will be wearing your ensemble (if that’s something you genuinely care about). The majority of my outfit was thrifted/ gifted, and then altered to fit both my physique and personality.



As you can see, the pieces initially looked rather homely together. I’m only twenty-three years old, no reason for me to dress so, uh, “mature”. The top was an awkward length on me because it’s actually the wrong size for me, and the skirt is also had some extra length to it. However, I saw great potential in both pieces and decided to carry out my indie inspired look of the day.




The unique, beaded, top was sent to me from Diva Xpress Vintage Resale. I simply folded the extra material underneath and created a crop top illusion.  I could see ASOS replicating this number and selling it for quadruple the price. Sometimes the splurge is worth it … most of the time it is not. Do it yourself.

I purchased the vibrant, warm/cool multi-colored, printed skirt from a local thrift shop. It was marked as $2.99 but went down to $1.50 at the register. It never did fit right, but the colors were so beautiful, I was not leaving it behind. The initial plan was to pair a belt with the piece, but it’d still be too long. Instead, I casually rolled it up at the waist, until it was the length I desired. 




I also DIY'ed my tribal printed bangles. I saw a set I wanted but they were almost $20 and it was CLEAR they were hand-crafted. So I tackled the task of doing it myself. I purchased 3 wooden bangles from the flea market for just $1 each, all colors were available. I used a permanent marker to draw my design, and then used clear nail polish to seal the marker. Let them dry for a few hours and you have a set that is equally cute and cost < a quarter of the store's price. 

My earrings were purchased from eBay for $10 and my shoes were purchased locally (on sale!) for $16. 


What have you DIY'ed lately? 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely live your style. Girl keep rocking it!

    ReplyDelete